Do you love dogs? Cats? Ferrets or donkeys? We do! Guess what else we like here at the Chattanooga Public Library! Reading, that's right! And it's not only us. All the animals at McKamey Animal Shelter love reading too. Come join us at the downtown library every first and third Tuesday from 4-5pm to read to a shelter animal! Make a new friend, improve your reading skills while improving the lives of each and every animal that would love to see you.
About Paws To Read
Kids feel more comfortable reading to a pet than they do an adult sometimes. Paws to Read offers a way to foster that dynamic while keeping kids reading and boosting their confidence. Kids who read to dogs on a regular basis have shown drastic improvements in their reading skills and their enjoyment for reading.
- Sustain concentration and focus
- Maintain a higher level of awareness
- Improve attitudes toward school
- Increase reading comprehension and fluency
- Expand their use of vocabulary and language
- Boost confidence and pride in their reading skills
- Cultivate a higher motivation for reading and learning
- Foster positive social interactions
- Feel more comfortable about learning
- Enjoy the experience of reading