The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's Department of Performing Arts in partnership with the Chattanooga Public Library's Children's Department present Symphonic Tales, a music and literacy series for young children.
Join us on Saturday, April 8 at 3pm as we present the popular Thomas the Tank Engine story, The Great Race. The story will be paired with Ian Clarke’s unaccompanied flute piece “The Great Train Race,” performed by CSO principal flutist Kristen Holritz. Games and crafts will follow the performance.
About Symphonic Tales
Over the last several years, Symphonic Tales has been impacting the early literacy of hundreds of children at the public library in a variety of ways:
- a heightening of general interest in and curiosity about reading and other literacy-related activities;
- improved disposition toward developing early literacy skills;
- enhanced listening skills and attention spans;
- increased sensitivity and response to musical stimuli;
- acquired familiarity with children's literature and music; and
- development of gross and fine motor skills, as well as physical coordination.