Garnett Andrews horse-drawn fire engine
City firemen took great pride in the turnout of the No. 3 engine, the “Garnett Andrews," and the matching pair of gray horses. The engine was obtained by the City of Chattanooga in 1892 from the Ahrens Company. In the driver’s seat is Thomas Kassinger and at the side of the engine, left to right, Capt. Alf Handman and George Pendergrass.
Early steam fire engine of Chattanooga Fire department on McCallie Avenue
Heads up! The Garnett Andrews fire engine races along McCallie Avenue to the scene of a blaze. The homes of Dr. Henry Berlin (110 McCallie) and Thomas H. Payne (108 McCallie) are in the background of this image from about 1895.
City patrolmen on horseback leading the Liberty Loan parade
City Patrolmen leading the Liberty Loan Parade, April 6, 1918, to support the local effort to finance World War I. This image was taken on Market Street, between Seventh and Eight Streets, Capt. Joe Croft is on the right. An April 6, 1918 Chattanooga Times article reports, “This afternoon’s parade, while containing a military element in generous measures, will reach out and embrace every civic, fraternal, social and other factor which has been active in the war, and will accord them a larger measure of recognition than was the case last time.”
Chattanooga Police officers on first motorized vehicle and on horseback
Times eventually changed and horses were replaced with motorized transportation. This 1911 image shows one of the first motorized police vehicles in Chattanooga posed with several mounted officers. Identified left to right are: H. Minor, W. Turner, R.A. Tuner, Sr., Clarence Livingston, J.J. Irving, and W.C. Smith.
Clydesdale team of horses
Heavier draft horse breeds, such as Clydesdales, were used to pull the big heavy loads. In the early days this eight-horse hitch represents the type of turnout possibly seen on Chattanooga streets and pulling loads up the mountains. This image is from an exhibition of the famous Anheuser-Busch Clydesdales in Chattanooga on May 4, 1949.
Replica of old fashioned streetcar in front of Hamilton National Bank
Methods of mass transit are an important issue in any cityscape. Before the electric streetcar came into use horses and mules pulled these early streetcars through Chattanooga’s streets. This image depicts a replica streetcar in front of the Broad Street side of the Hamilton National Bank during the bank’s 50th anniversary celebration in 1939. The rear entrance of the Rialto Theater can also be seen.