Computer Access and WiFi
Public computers and WiFi are available at all four branches of the Chattanooga Public Library. Access to the computers is limited to 2 hours per day if other patrons are waiting. Reservations can be made for the next available computer by phone or in person. A library card or a single-use guest pass ($1) is required to use the public computers.
To listen to audio files online you may bring your own headphones or purchase $1 earbuds at the service desk.
The following applications are installed on most of the public computers: Microsoft Office 2010 including Word, Excel & PowerPoint; Safari Web Browser; Internet Explorer; typical plug-ins such as Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To search the library’s full catalog please use the catalog computers. These stations may be used without a library card and do not have internet access.
Black-and-white printing is 10¢ per page. Color printing is 50¢ per page.
Please call your branch with any questions.
Notary and Fax
Several of our branches have a Notary Public on staff. Call the Main Library at 757-5310, Northgate at 870-0636, or Eastgate at 855-2689 for availability. There is no charge for this service!
Personal fax services are available at all library locations. Transmissions may be made using the self-service equipment at the rate of $1.00 per each multiple of 5 pages (for example 7 pages would be $2.00) for local calls. Long distance transmission costs $2.00 for each multiple of 5 pages. At this time we cannot receive fax transmissions for patrons to pick up.
The Chattanooga Public Library offers U.S. Passport Acceptance service by appointment only, at our Downtown location, Monday through Saturday. For appointments and questions, call (423) 757-5310.
Please read the following information before you call:
Passport applications may be filled out online or printed from the Department of State and filled out by hand, or obtained at the library ahead of time. Black ink must be used to fill out applications. Please don't sign them until asked to do so by a Passport Acceptance Agent.
Applicants for a new passport or replacement of a lost or stolen passport must provide the following:
Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:
- Certified, government-issued birth certificate showing parent(s) name(s), or
- Original Naturalization Certificate, or
- Previous passport, or
- Certificate of Birth Abroad.
Current proof of identity, such as:
- Driver's license or State ID, or
- U.S. Government ID card, or
- Certificate of Naturalization, or
- Military ID.
One 2"x2" photo which may be made at the library for a fee, or brought in. Photos:
- Must be in color with a light background
- May not be in profile
- Must include only the head and top of shoulders.
All passport applicants must appear in person. Both parents must be present for applicants under 16 years old.
Adults wishing to renew expired passports should see the questionnaire on the front of the DS-82 form or on the Department of State website. We can mail these for a fee, or they can be mailed in by the applicant.
Anyone under 16 must use the DS-11 form, Application for a U.S. Passport.
Payable to U.S. Department of State by check or money order only:
- Adult passport books: $110
- Adult passport cards: $30 (covers limited travel options)
- Minor (under 16) passport books: $80
- Minor passport cards: $15 (covers limited travel options)
- Expedite fee to receive passport in 2-3 weeks: $60 per applicant
Payable to Chattanooga Public Library by check, money order or cash:
- Execution fee per passport application: $25
- Passport photos if made here: $10 per person.
How long will it take to get my passport?
The U.S. Passport Office guarantees delivery as follows:
- Routine service is 4-6 weeks.
- Expedited service is 2-3 weeks.
- Applicants may choose overnight delivery, one way or both ways, for additional fees.
What if I need my passport sooner than the Expedite delivery date?
- Contact the Atlanta Passport Office if you are traveling within 14 days, or
- Contract with a third-party expediting service (listings available online; we cannot recommend services), or
- Contact your local Congressman's office.
What is acceptable proof of U.S. Citizenship?
- A certified copy with official seal (not a photocopy) of a government-issued birth certificate showing parent(s) name(s).
- Hospital certificates are not acceptable.
- California and Texas Certified Abstracts of Birth are not acceptable.
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Birth Abroad
Where may I obtain a certified birth certificate?
Tennessee natives may obtain a certified birth certificate by contacting the office of vital records in the county in which they were born. Those born in Hamilton County can usually go to the Health Department at 921 E. 3rd St.
However, for births between 1950-1975, birth certificates must be obtained from Tennessee Vital Records in Nashville. Call (615) 741-1763 for more information.
People born in another state should contact the Vital Statistics office in the state of birth.
What is acceptable proof of identification?
Any of the following is acceptable proof of identification:
- Valid driver's license
- Valid state-issued ID
- Current passport
- U.S. Government ID
- Military ID
For any other questions, please call (423) 757-5310 and ask to speak to a Passport Acceptance Agent. We will be glad to help.
If you're a member of a local civic, educational, or cultural organization, consider having your next meeting at the Chattanooga Public Library. To find out more about meeting space available at the Downtown Library call 757-5029. If your organization wishes to meet at a library branch, contact the Branch Director. A qualifying organization needs to provide a copy of its IRS 501(c)(3) tax exemption certificate and fill out an Application for Library Meeting Room Use.
Service By Mail
Library staff can answer questions, photocopy articles from magazines we own, and reproduce photographs from our collection by mail. Call 423-757-5310 (questions and photocopies) or 423-757-5317 (photographs) for rates and requirements. For photographs, a print request form is available to help you compile the information needed.