Checking Out Materials
A current library card is needed in order to check out materials. If the library card is not in your possession, materials may be checked out with photo identification. Library card barcodes presented on smart phones or other mobile devices are also accepted.
All circulating materials may be borrowed by cardholders for three (3) weeks (21 days), except for DVDs and magazines which check out for seven (7) days.
The following non-print items may be checked out as follows:
DVDs 10 per card
Books on CD 10 per card
Total items checked out may not exceed 100 per card
A receipt received at checkout serves as the official notice of the due date for an item or items. Customers with outstanding fees over $5.00 will not be allowed to check out additional materials.
Information for applying for a Chattanooga Public Library Card can be found here.
Placing Material on Hold
Customers may place up to 30 hold requests on circulating items. The amount of allowed holds varies for the non -print materials as listed above.
Holds can be requested online within a catalog search or over the phone.
Items are held for seven (7) days. If the item is not picked up within the time allotted, the hold is cancelled and the item is returned to circulation or fills the next hold in the queue. In order to check out the hold item, the customer must present the library card on which the hold request was made. No pickups will be allowed without the originating card. If a customer presents the card that originated the hold, check-out will be allowed even if the cardholder is not present at the time of pick-up.
Notary and Fax
The Downtown branch of the Chattanooga Public Library has a Notary Public on staff. Call 423-643-7700 for availability. There is no charge for this service.
Personal fax services are available at all library locations. Transmissions may be made using the self-service equipment at the rate of $1.00 per each multiple of 5 pages (for example 7 pages would be $2.00) for local calls. Long distance transmission costs $2.00 for each multiple of 5 pages. At this time we cannot receive fax transmissions for patrons to pick up.
If you're a member of a local civic, educational, or cultural organization, consider having your next meeting at the Chattanooga Public Library. To find out more about meeting space available at the Downtown Library call 643-7700. If your organization wishes to meet at a library branch, contact the Branch Manager. Organizations can fill out an Application for Library Meeting Room Use.
Service By Mail
Library staff can answer questions, photocopy articles from magazines we own, and reproduce photographs from our collection by mail. Call 423-643-7700 (questions and photocopies) or 423-643-7725 (photographs) for rates and requirements. For photographs, a print request form is available to help you compile the information needed.
The Chattanooga Public Library offers U.S. Passport Acceptance service by appointment only, at our Downtown location, Monday through Saturday. For appointments and questions, call (423) 643-7700.
Please read the following information before you call:
Passport applications may be filled out online and printed from the Department of State or printed and filled out by hand, or obtained at the library ahead of time. Black ink must be used to fill out applications. Please don't sign them until asked to do so by a Passport Acceptance Agent.
Applicants for a new passport or replacement of a lost or stolen passport must provide the following:
Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:
- Certified, government-issued birth certificate showing parent(s) name(s), or
- Original Naturalization Certificate, or
- Previous passport, or
- Certificate of Birth Abroad.
Current proof of identity, such as:
- Driver's license or State ID along with secondary ID, or
- U.S. Government ID card, or
- Certificate of Naturalization, or
- Military ID.
One 2"x2" photo which may be made at the library for a fee, or brought in. Photos:
- Must be in color with a light background
- May not be in profile
- Must include only the head and top of shoulders.
All passport applicants must appear in person. Both parents must be present for applicants under 16 years old.
Adults wishing to renew expired passports should see the questionnaire on the front of the DS-82 form or on the Department of State website. Documents are then mailed in by the applicant.
Anyone under 16 or under 16 for previous passport must use the DS-11 form, Application for a U.S. Passport.
Payable to U.S. Department of State by check or money order only:
- Adult passport books: $110
- Adult passport cards: $30 (covers limited travel options)
- Minor (under 16) passport books: $80
- Minor passport cards: $15 (covers limited travel options)
- Expedite fee to receive passport in 2-3 weeks: $60 per applicant
Payable to Chattanooga Public Library by check, money order or cash:
- Execution fee per passport application: $25
- Passport photos if made here: $10 per person.
How long will it take to get my passport?
The U.S. Passport Office guarantees delivery as follows:
- Routine service is 4-6 weeks
- Expedited service is 3 weeks
- Applicants may choose overnight delivery, one way or both ways, for additional fees
What if I need my passport sooner than the Expedite delivery date?
- Contact the Atlanta Passport Office if you are traveling within 14 days, or
- Contract with a third-party expediting service (listings available online; we cannot recommend services), or
- Contact your local Congressman's office.
What is acceptable proof of U.S. Citizenship?
- A certified copy with official seal (not a photocopy) of a government-issued birth certificate showing parent(s) name(s).
- Hospital certificates are not acceptable.
- California and Texas Certified Abstracts of Birth are not acceptable.
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Birth Abroad
Where may I obtain a certified birth certificate?
Tennessee natives may obtain a certified birth certificate by contacting the office of vital records in the county in which they were born. Those born in Hamilton County can usually go to the Health Department at 921 E. 3rd St.
However, for births between 1950-1975, birth certificates must be obtained from Tennessee Vital Records in Nashville. Call (615) 741-1763 for more information.
People born in another state should contact the Vital Statistics office in the state of birth.
What is acceptable proof of identification?
Any of the following is acceptable proof of identification:
- Valid driver's license
- Valid state-issued ID along with secondary ID
- Current passport
- U.S. Government ID
- Military ID
For any other questions, please call (423) 643-7700 and ask to speak to a Passport Acceptance Agent. We will be glad to help.