The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's Department of Performing Arts in partnership with the Chattanooga Public Library's Children's Department present Symphonic Tales, a music and literacy series for young children.
This program seeks to introduce instruments and music while also promoting literacy to children in a familiar setting. We blend musical pieces with fun stories, creating true sensory experiences. We encourage kids to let the music move them and to join in with the stories they love.
ABOUT SYMPHONIC TALES
Over the last several years, Symphonic Tales has been impacting the early literacy of hundreds of children at the public library in a variety of ways:
- a heightening of general interest in and curiosity about reading and other literacy-related activities;
- improved disposition toward developing early literacy skills;
- enhanced listening skills and attention spans;
- increased sensitivity and response to musical stimuli;
- acquired familiarity with children's literature and music; and
- development of gross and fine motor skills, as well as physical coordination.
The Chattanooga Public Library is an ArtsBuild community arts partner.