Crowded streetcar on Main Street – 1904
What we now enjoy as Main Street on the Southside was formerly called Montgomery Avenue. This photo from 1904 shows a bustling avenue with men running toward an already crowded streetcar. The Loomis & Hart Lumber Company can be seen in the background. The photo is from the Paul A. Hiener Collection housed in our Local History and Genealogy Department at the Downtown branch.