Boating on the Tennessee

“The Telephone”

This photo from 1876 shows “The Telephone,” a screw propeller steam launch built and owned by Andrew J. and George W. Stoops. It was used for river tours to visit the Cincinnati Southern Railway bridge while it was under construction, and for excursions up and down the Tennessee River. The launch was sold to the Federal government in 1877 for use as a mail and dispatch boat in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The image is from the Chattanooga Albums Collection scrapbooks compiled by E. Y. Chapin, Walter Cline, and Frank F. Stoops of the Chattanooga Half Century Club.