Checking Out Materials
A current library card is needed in order to check out materials. If the library card is not in your possession, materials may be checked out with photo identification.
All circulating materials may be borrowed by cardholders for three (3) weeks (21 days), except for DVDs and magazines which check out for seven (7) days.
The following non-print items may be checked out as follows:
DVDs 10 per card
Books on CD 10 per card
Total items checked out may not exceed 100 per card
A receipt received at checkout serves as the official notice of the due date for an item or items. Customers with outstanding fees over $5.00 will not be allowed to check out additional materials.
Information for applying for a Chattanooga Public Library Card can be found here.
Placing Material on Hold
Customers may place up to 30 hold requests on circulating items. 10 of these holds may be DVDs and 10 may be CDs.
Holds can be requested online within a catalog search or over the phone.
Items are held for seven (7) days. If the item is not picked up within the time allotted, the hold is cancelled and the item is returned to circulation or fills the next hold in the queue. In order to check out the hold item, the customer must present the library card on which the hold request was made. No pickups will be allowed without the originating card. If a customer presents the card that originated the hold, check-out will be allowed even if the cardholder is not present at the time of pick-up.
Notary and Fax
The Downtown branch of the Chattanooga Public Library has a Notary Public on staff. Call 423-643-7700 for availability. There is no charge for this service.
Personal fax services are available at all library locations. Transmissions may be made using the self-service equipment at the rate of $1.00 per each multiple of 5 pages (for example 7 pages would be $2.00) for local calls. Long distance transmission costs $2.00 for each multiple of 5 pages. At this time we cannot receive fax transmissions for patrons to pick up.
The meeting rooms at all locations of the Chattanooga Public Library may be used by non-profit and for-profit organizations free of charge to those who have a Chattanooga Public Library card in good standing. Final approval of meeting room applications will be made by Library Administration. To find out more about meeting space available at the Downtown Library call 643-7700. If your organization wishes to meet at a library branch, contact the Branch Manager. Organizations can fill out an Application for Library Meeting Room Use. After you submit the application, you will be contacted by a library representative to inform you of the approval status. Please allow up to two weeks for confirmation. Any payment required by the library must be submitted 7 days prior to your program or event.
The downtown Chattanooga Library is now loaning tools, such as socket wrench sets, cordless drills, and power sanders! Library cardholders ages 18 and up can check out up to 3 tools at a time for a one-week period. Signing a liability waiver and tool use policy is required prior to check-out. Tools can be checked out at the Reference Desk on the 1st Floor of the Downtown Library.
Questions? Call the Downtown Library’s Reference Desk @ 423-643-7740
The collection is made possible from support of the UnFoundation and the Friends of the Chattanooga Library.
Local History Remote Services
Local History and Genealogy staff can provide photocopies from our newspaper collection (such as obituaries), historical photographs, and other non-circulated reference materials from the Local History Department. For rates and requirements, call 423-643-7725 or email staff at.
Want something you can’t get through “patron request”? Try Interlibrary Loan (ILL). We will attempt to borrow the material from participating libraries across the country. The process takes at least two weeks, and you are responsible for any cost, such as shipping; insurance; loss or damage. The lending time is set by the lending library.
Simply fill out the ILL request form and turn it into any Chattanooga Public Library branch or just phone and provide the needed information.
Your library card must be in good standing.
Print from Anywhere
With our MobilePrint Service™, you can use your personal computer or mobile device to print to the library’s printers from anywhere.
Library Passport Services
The Chattanooga Public Library offers U.S. Passport Acceptance service by appointment at our Downtown location, Monday through Saturday. For appointments and questions, call (423) 643-7724.
Please read the following important information before you call:
- FIRST-TIME PASSPORT FOR ADULTS
- REPLACEMENT FOR LOST OR STOLEN PASSPORTS
- PASSPORTS FOR ALL MINORS UNDER 16 REGARDLESS OF PREVIOUS PASSPORT
Please fill out your application(s) before your appointment to save time and make sure you have all necessary documentation.
U.S. Passport Applications (DS-11 forms) may be filled out online and printed from the Department of State website or printed and filled out by hand. Applications may also be obtained at the Downtown Library ahead of time. Use black ink only to complete applications. Do not use white-out. Do NOT sign them until asked to do so by a Passport Acceptance Agent.
All passport applicants must appear in person. Both parents must be present for applicants under 16 years of age. One parent must be present for 16 and 17 year old applicants.
APPLICANTS FOR A NEW PASSPORT OR REPLACEMENT OF A LOST OR STOLEN PASSPORT MUST PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
Proof of U.S. citizenship which is sent in with application but returned to applicant, such as:
- Certified, government-issued birth certificate showing parent(s) name(s) or
- Original Naturalization Certificate or
- Previous passport or
- Certificate of Birth Abroad
Please note: Minors under 16 years of age must submit certified birth certificate each time they apply for a passport.
Current proof of identity, such as:
- Valid Tennessee driver license or
- Valid state-issued ID along with secondary ID (work, student, military, previous expired driver license, hand carry permit, etc.) or
- Valid out-of-state driver license along with secondary ID or
- U.S. Government ID card or
- Certificate of Naturalization or
- Military ID
Please note: If one parent or legal guardian cannot attend in person to obtain child’s passport, the DS-3053 form, Statement of Consent for Minors must be completed, dated by parent and notarized on the same day. The type of passport desired (book, card or both) should be marked, and a copy of both the front and back of the ID which the notary witnessed as identification must accompany the form.
One 2×2 inch photo which may be made at the library for a fee or brought in. Photos:
- Must be in color with a light background – no shadows
- May not be in profile
- Must include only the head and top of shoulders
- Avoid wearing white as the background is white
- No glasses unless a letter is brought from doctor stating health will be harmed if glasses removed
Proper Forms of Payment – Two Separate Payments:
- Personal checks (no starter checks), money orders or cashier’s checks for U.S. Department of State payments
- Personal checks, money orders, cashier’s checks or cash for processing passport applications and photo fees for Library payment
- No credit and debit cards
Minors under 16 years of age or under 16 on previous passport must use the DS-11 form, Application for a U.S. Passport.
The Downtown library has applications, forms and addressed priority envelopes for your convenience. Agents can take your photo for $10.00. We are happy to look over your renewal application and make sure everything is correct. Documents are then mailed in by the applicant.
Payable to U.S. Department of State by personal check (no starter checks), money order or cashier’s check only:
- Adult passport books: $110
- Adult passport cards: $30 (land or boat travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean only)
- Minor (under 16) passport books: $80
- Minor (under 16) passport cards: $15 (land or boat travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean only)
- Expedite fee to receive passport in 2-3 weeks: $60 per applicant
Payable to Chattanooga Public Library by personal check, money order, cashier’s check or cash only:
- Execution fee per DS-11 passport application: $35
- Passport photos if made here: $10
How long will it take to get my passport?
- Routine times vary during the year — check travel.state.gov for current delivery times. Return time can range from 4-8 weeks depending on how busy the Passport agencies are at the time of submission.
- Expedited service is 2-3 weeks with 1-2 Day Delivery Service.
- Applicants may choose overnight delivery from library to Department of State or both ways for additional fees.
What if I need my passport sooner than the Expedite delivery date?
- Contact the Atlanta Passport Office if you are traveling within 14 days, and have proof of travel or need for a visa within four weeks or
- Contact your local Congressman’s office or
- Contract with a third-party expediting service (listings available online; we cannot recommend services)
What is acceptable proof of U.S. Citizenship?
- A certified copy with official seal (not a photocopy) of a government-issued birth certificate showing parent(s) name(s) usually obtained from Vital Statistics or the Health Department
- No hospital certificates
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Birth Abroad
- Certificate of Citizenship
Please note: California and Texas Abstracts of Birth are not always acceptable.
Where may I obtain a certified birth certificate?
Individuals born in Tennessee may obtain a certified birth certificate from the Hamilton County Vital Records Office at 921 E. 3rd Street next to Erlanger Hospital. Office hours are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. For more information call (423) 209-8025.
If there is an error to be corrected contact the office in Nashville at 1-855-809-0072 or visit Office of Vital Records. Hamilton County records now go back 100 years.
People born in another state should contact the Vital Statistics office in their state of birth. Some states, such as New York, require you to apply in the borough of birth.
What is acceptable proof of identification?
Any of the following is acceptable proof of identification:
- Valid Tennessee driver license
- Valid out-of-state driver license along with secondary ID such as work ID, school ID or hand carry permit
- Valid state-issued ID along with secondary ID
- Current passport
- Certificate of Naturalization
- U.S. Government ID
- Military ID
Please note: Learner permits and temporary driver licenses are not acceptable as
For any other questions, please call (423) 643-7724 and ask to speak to a Passport Acceptance Agent. We will be glad to help.
Computer Access and WiFi
Public computers and WiFi are available at all four branches of the Chattanooga Public Library. Access to the computers is limited to 2 hours per day if other patrons are waiting. Reservations can be made for the next available computer by phone or in person. A library card or a single-use guest pass ($1) is required to use the public computers.
To listen to audio files online you may bring your own headphones or purchase $1 earbuds at the service desk.
The following applications are installed on most of the public computers: Microsoft Office 2016 including Word, Excel & PowerPoint; Chrome; Firefox; Edge; Internet Explorer; typical plug-ins such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, VNC player and PDF Creator.
To search the library’s full catalog please use the catalog computers. These stations may be used without a library card and do not have internet access.
Black-and-white printing is 10¢ per page. Color printing is 50¢ per page.
Public computers at all locations shut down 15 minutes prior to closing.
Please call your branch with any questions.